It’s one of, if not the biggest affiliate program out there, and as an internet marketer its something that you should definitely figure out how to take advantage of.
In this post I’ll go through some of the main points you need to know in order to be successful with the program. I also have a guide specifically on how to make money with amazon in this post.
Benefits of Amazon’s Affiliate Program
This is hands down one of the best online retail affiliate programs out there. Some of the benefits include:
- Established brand so consumers feel comfortable making purchases
- 24 hour tracking gives you credit for any Amazon purchase, not just products you recommend
- Reputable and easy payment handling
- Good tracking software lets you manage multiple campaigns
- Diverse ads and link options
- Practically infinite product selection
- Competitive pricing makes them a good option for consumers
Disadvantages to Amazon’s Affiliate Program
Even though there are clear benefits, there are also a few key disadvantages:
- Complicated commission structure. General products begin at 4%.
- $100 payment threshold.
- Very popular, which leads to higher competition.
Tips and Tricks
The best way to really take advantage of Amazon’s program is to understand the full commission structure.
You can find the details here, but basically, some key categories, like movies or magazines, are worth significantly higher amounts than most of the general products available.
Not only that, the general products commission rate varies with the number of sales you make per month. You should set a minimum target of 7 product sales per month, which is enough to bump you from the 4% commission up to the 6% commission, a 33% increase in earnings!
When you hit this threshold (or any of the subsequent thresholds), the commission increase is applied to all products sold for that month, not just products beyond the threshold. You can work your way all the way up to 8%, but for that you need to sell more than 3,000 shippable products per month, which is a tall order for many affiliates.
Read more about how to make money with Amazon’s program in this post, or click here for a more general affiliate marketing training.