I know that there are plenty of affiliate marketing intro posts already out there, but since so many of them focus on theory and not practice I thought I’d take a couple of minutes to provide the best possible intro to affiliate marketing I can think of.
In this post I’ll give you a 30 second overview of what you need to know about affiliate marketing, and then point you in the right direction so you can get started today.
30 Second Affiliate Marketing Intro
Affiliate marketing is really simple.
- You have a website that promotes a product.
- A reader comes to the website and clicks one of your links, and then buys the product.
- You receive an commission for referring the reader to the product.
Of course, there’s a lot more to it than that, but those are the basics. Here’s a real life example:
- I need a new credit card that focuses on travel.
- I Google “best travel rewards card”
- Creditcards.com comes up with an easy to use filter that gives me a list of good options, and reviews of each card.
- I select the card I want, and apply through the link on creditcards.com
- Creditcards.com receives a commission, paid by the credit card company.
What To Do Right Now
Now that you have a brief overview, it’s time to practice building your first site.
The best way to learn affiliate marketing really is just to do it. Don’t worry about perfection or ranking for a top keyword just yet, just start building a site.
Three things you can do TODAY:
- Read this post on how to get started.
- Sign up for this free training.
- Get your website setup and 1 post written.